This week was the Jyväsklyä Summerfest.
Anyone walking through the city center would have
seen some pretty exciting stuff. Like…
A stage.
With very excited
performers (like Katja!!) about to wow the audiences with
Finnish folk dancing and other performances.
A farmers
market with vendors selling…
Snow peas. Summers are short on snow (unless you’re in
Lapland…it snowed two weeks ago…) but long on sunshine…which makes for very
happy and healthy snow peas. :)
Which were the perfect snack for watching a thunderstorm roll in.
I can’t get enough of
the view from my place. It’s been
raining all week. And my camera must
have been even more excited about what the rain does to light than I am about what it does to the view. But, back to the city center adventures this
week…
Friday the 13th
is my favorite day of the month. Perhaps
that’s because my Gpa was born on a Friday the 13th and my G’ma was
born on the 13th, too. Well,
this Friday the 13th I got word that my first article was published!! Feels great to have one down. Just three more to go to qualify of my dissertation defense!
Seat 210. Just like the area code in San Antonio!! :)
:) Arttu, one of my friends from
the university, suggested a few interesting performances at the local theatre as
part of the Jyväskylä Summerfest. We
ended up seeing an upscale street performer/small scale Cirque du Soleil
performance. It was impressive! I realized ½ way through that I wasn’t
breathing because I was so worried that one of the performers would fall or
that the balls, hats, and huge Frisbee-like rings they were tossing here, there
and everywhere wouldn’t behave.
Definitely a nail biter. Kiitos
Arttu!
Later that evening, I ran
into Eija. She and Tiina (her
sister-in-law) were enjoying the evening out on the town (read: in the city center). It was great to be able to visit with them before calling it a night!
I was asked to give a
talk at church today on repentance. This is Hanna—my Finnish
voice. :) She translated for me. And she did a stellar job. I love her smile in this picture!! We were both grateful that it was over. Kiitos
Hanna!! Oot mun super tulkki!! (Grammatical errors aside, this is a true
statement!)
This is Tarja. She spent time with us at Girls Camp. It was towards the end of the week when she
asked me, “So, are you 19 or 20? I know
you have to be older than 18 to be a camp mom.” Um, she is my hero. All I can say is that I hope I look as young
and fantastic as she does with 5 kids!!!
Reetta came into town
this weekend!! Katja was so kind in
hosting us for a scrumptious lunch at her pad.
After a reindeer salad with feta cheese and grapes, grilled chicken and
pork with veggies, and potatoes at her place, we headed over to Otto’s place
for dessert. A traveling meal! :)
What a great way to spend the afternoon—with dear friends and delicious
food.
I love Finnish
summers. And I love enjoying the Finnish summer with friends. I
could live here!
Oh wait.
...
I do
live here!!
Lucky, lucky me!
No comments:
Post a Comment