Monday, December 10, 2012

Living in a winter wonderland

I've been living in a winter wonderland these last two weeks.
Here are a few glimpses of what it's like:

Biking in a winter wonderland.  
All bones intact: check 
All digits still accounted for biking in -20 degree (celsius THANK HEAVENS) weather: check
Frost bite or bruises to report: No!! 
:)


I even figured out how to transport all kind of goodies using this handy-dandy bungee cord.  
I feel like a pizza delivery person...just without pizza...and without a motorized bike. 

What does cold look like in Finland?


 

Exhibit A.


And it's still cold even after layering as seen here


in Exhibit B: three pairs of cotton socks...under the pair of wool socks and leggings.


What cold looks like from...


my apartment,


at the university,


in Eija's garden,


in Narnia turned upside down,


 and on the way to Turku (4 hours southwest, on the coast of Finland).

These are some of the activities that have kept me warm:




The school for the deaf in Jyväskylä held it's annual Finnish Independence Day celebration with students performing songs and short plays.  This year, however, was unique.  It's the last year that the school for the deaf will be a separate institution.  Beginning in January, it will merge with the school for the blind.  The city is building a new building right up the street from the university.


Helena, one of my friends from church, worked at the school for the deaf in the 70s and then again in the 90s.  I was her guest for the celebration.  The best part?  Her showing me these pictures of downtown where the school was originally established. The left photo is of Kauppakatu...and the house on the left side of the photo was her family's home for a short while after WWII ended.


The other best part?  The picture on the right is of the school at its original location up until the early 1970s when it was torn down.  In its place now stands...the Jyvaskyla city library.  On Vapaudenkatu. What sits right next to the city library on Vapaudenaktu?  My first apartment!!  The apartment where I lived this summer...with the most incredible views, that is 60 steps from the city library.  I lived on the same property where the school for the deaf was originally built.  
Coincidence?!  I don't believe in coincidences.  
It's yet another reminder that I'm not here by accident. 
I would never have known had Helena not extended the invitation to join her.  
Thank you Helena!!


Dancing the night away on Independence Day was another effective way of staying warm. 
Meeting on the 'sidelines' at the dance, Ida and I became instant friends.  There's something about the tall gene (and the tall female gene, in particular) that says, "We're meant to be friends!!"


Our research team's pikkujoulu (little Christmas party). 
We held the party at the church so we'd have plenty of room to eat...


and play broom hockey.  
Team PhDs...


vs. Team MAs.
Let's just say that there will be a rematch next year when I'm dressed appropriately for a real game...and there aren't Christmas decorations on the floor.  
And once I've had my vocal chords removed.  Finns are the quietest players I've ever seen.
...
And let's also just say that this was among the most awesome nights of my life.  
I love -- as in L O V E -- my research team.


Staying indoors keeps you warm.  So Kirsti and I checked out 
the 10th annual Christmas handicraft market.


How did Kirsti know whether there were parking spaces available?  Well, just look at the lights on the ceiling.  Kind of festive, too, given that it's Christmas.  :)


No better to warm the heart than to Skype with friends from the land of sunshine and warmth: TEXAS!!  
I love Finland.  
And yet I would have given up my woolen socks for a year 
in exchange for being able to attend the Musketeer Mansion Masquerade.
Alicia and Tina, oh how I miss you guys!!!  
(And thanks for sneak peek of the mask and gown!!)
 

Then there's nothing like the 2nd annual lighting of Eija's Christmas tree outside.  Here she is in Martha Stewart style entertaining us for the evening and filling our tummies with pumpkin pie, date cake, pumpkin cookies, gloggi, and other goodies.

 and enjoying all of this outside around a fire pit.

 

And just in case you think I might be bias about Eija's baking, 
here's a note to convince you otherwise.


 Then there are the gifts from all over Europe that Eija brought back for me.  KIITOS EIJA!!  
A woolen scarf made in France, a bookmark from Trinity College (Dublin), candies from Tallinn and a candle from Germany. She is always so thoughtful.
 


Eating, as we have seen so far and will see yet again, is a very effective way of staving off the cold.  The sister missionaries made pulla (Finnish cinnamon rolls...with less sugar and no icing).  Thank you Sis. Ehlen and Sis. Luedtke for baking the pulla and hiding it (literally!!) from the elders so Hanna and I could enjoy it this evening...


with Stephens hot chocolate from Utah 
and mini marshmallows from Sweden.
(Thank you Hilla for the marshmallows!!)





And last but not least, knitting is yet another way to keep the blood flowing...and it produces warm woolen 'things' when you're done. Not sure what I'm making here.  But I made two rows of whatever it will turn into.  :)
This was my first stab at knitting.  And, luckily, no blood was shed in the process.
Thank you Hanna for your patience teaching me how to work these suckers.  
You really ARE a knitting sen-say!!  :)

And that, my friends, is a peek into what life is like living in a winter wonderland.  I need to take some pics of the snow 'hedges' that are forming along all the streets.  The snow plows just plough the snow up onto the sidewalks.  They're already 3-4 feet high.  I wonder if they'll be 13-14 feet high come mid-February.
 

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say how differently I read your blog now? ...as an AZ girl through and through, this blog makes me cold just looking at the pictures! :) Sarah, you're amazing...thanks for sharing your experience with us back home! :)

    ReplyDelete